An official letter prepared by the Syrian Government and presented to the United Nations has been released online. The link to the PDF version is here: http://www.innercitypress.com/syria1letter033012.pdf According to the report, over six thousand people have been killed in the violence, most of them innocent civilians. Also, 1560 people had been kidnapped and 931 people were missing at the time this record was compiled.
30 March 2012
I have the honour to transmit herewith a detailed table on the losses incurred in the Syrian Arab Republic due to the acts committed by armed terrorist groups. The table covers the period from the beginning of the events in Syria until 15 March 2012 and it contains the following information:
- Death toll of civilians: 3211 people.
- Death toll of police : 478 people.
- Death toll of Army and Security Forces : 2088 people (as of 21 March 2012).
- Death toll of women : 204 people.
- Death toll of children : 56 people.
- Death toll of directly assassinated people : 106 people.
Resulting in a total of 6143 deaths in the Syrian Arab Republic
- Kidnapped civilians, army personnel, and police officers : 1560 people, including 931 missing people.
- Stolen government vehicles: 2256 vehicles.
It would be highly appreciate it if the present letter and its annex could be circulated as an official document of the Security Council.
Please accept, Excellency, the assurance of my highest consideration.
H.E. Sir Mark Lyall Grant
President of the Security Council
CC: H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon
Secretary-General of the United Nations
Annex: 1 Page